Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

What should I do if my dog was stung by a bee?

If your dog has been stung by a bee, it is important to ensure that your pet doesn't suffer an allergic reaction. Today, our Rabun County vets discuss what you should do for your dog if they have been stung by a bee.

Signs of a Bee Sting on Dogs

Drooling, swelling, excessive licking, and pawing at a particular area are the most obvious symptoms that will alert you to the presence of a bacterial infection. Additionally, if your dog is digging around in a flower bush while crying out, it is possible that it is safe to assume that a bee sting is the cause of the problem.

The most common spots for a dog to be stung by a bee include on the paw, the mouth, and the face.

What to Do if Your Dog Has Been Stung By a Bee

After a sting, it is important to keep an eye out for any allergic reactions in your dog. In the meantime, you should call your regular veterinarian to inform them of what has occurred and inquire as to whether or not they would like you to bring your dog in for an appointment.

Watch Your Dog for an Allergic Reaction

The most important thing to do immediately following a bee sting is to watch for an allergic reaction. Dogs who have been stung before or who are stung by multiple bees at once time are more likely to have an allergic reaction.

It's crucial to keep an eye on your pet's breathing if the sting site swells noticeably, especially if it's on the neck or face. Take your dog to an emergency vet right away if you suspect that she isn't breathing enough or that she is beginning to gasp or wheeze.

If your dog starts vomiting within 5-10 minutes after being stung or has increasingly pale gums, this could be a sign of anaphylactic shock. If your dog shows either of these symptoms, head to an emergency vet immediately.

A significant amount of drooling, agitation, or sudden aggression are some additional frightening symptoms that may indicate an allergic reaction.

How to Comfort Your Dog After a Bee Sting

In the event that thirty minutes to an hour have passed and your dog is not exhibiting any signs of an allergic reaction, you can shift your attention to making them feel more settled.

In this case, your veterinarian may have already recommended over-the-counter medications (antihistamines such as Benadryl) but be sure to use the recommended dosage for your dog.

For most dogs, the area of the sting will be sensitive and puffy. If you can see the sting site and easily remove the stinger with tweezers, do so immediately to ease pain and prevent the venom from the stinger from spreading. 

After a sting, the majority of dogs should start to feel better within a few hours and should be back to normal within a day or two. To lessen swelling and inflammation, you can apply a damp towel to the sting site in the interim.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

Has your dog been stung by a bee? Contact our Rabun County vets right away to make sure your pup is healthy.

We Can't Wait To Meet You!

Rabun Animal Hospital is currently accepting new patients! Our wonderful veterinarians are dedicated to the health and happiness of Rabun County dogs, cats, and exotic pets. Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.

Contact Us

Book Online (706) 746-5100